Due to unprecedented demand resulting in delivery delays, we will be unable to fulfill website orders until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this disruption.
Brats & Cabbage
This bratwurst and cabbage dish is not only tasty, but it's delicious, satisfying, healthy, and really easy to prepare. In this episode of Fired Up Food, Nate Uri shows us how to make German sweet and sour red cabbage, which he pairs with brats. Perfect for camping with the family.
Authentic Cabbage and Bratwurst
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
- 1 Bratwurst link or 8 bratwursts
- 1/4 pound of of bacon, cut in chunks
- 1/2 head of Cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 sweet apple, cut in matchsticks
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut in matchsticks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup light bodied red wine
1. Cut the bacon in to chunks. Saute in a saucepan until rendered. Not to crispy.
2. Shred the cabbage, onion, and apple in to small matchsticks. The best apples are fji, gala or honeycrsip. When the bacon is done, add the cabbage, onion, apple, to the same sauce pan and sprinkle with salt.
3. Add a cup of light, red wine, a tablespoon of sugar, and a 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar. Turn down to low and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until soft, tender and delicious. Do not let it boil as it can ruin the cabbage. Once it is soft, just turn the burner off and keep it covered to stay warm.
4. The Bratwurst are not going to take long. Cook on medium-high heat, and turn them every couple minutes just to get them warmed up and crispy.